Yes, the flow of MCC pellets (Cellets) through a Wurster fluid-bed coater shows better performance as the Cellets’ particle size increases. The flow behavior is outperforming standard MCC powder. This was investigated by Mohylyuk et al. (2019), doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101320. Find more information: Is there an impact of the particle size on powder behavior in a Wurster fluid-bed process?
- formulation development
- pre-clinical and clinical phase
- clinical test samples
- commercial manufacturing
- technical infrastructure
- logistics & warehouse
Contact to experts: firstname.lastname@example.org
Case studies with pellets are available. Many case studies point onto pellet technologies in oral drug formulations. Main issues ot case studies are:
- taste-masking of bitter API
- investigations on transport & drug carrier system
- process properties, such as physical and chemical parameters, alias specifications
List of case studies on different pellet types:
- case studies here for microcrystalline cellulose (MCC) pellets
- case studies for tartaric acid pellets
Please, contact us for more details. We welcome scientific communications. So you like to start research with pharmaceutical starter pellets? Ingredientpharm has chances to assist you: email@example.com.
A drug carrier system, such as starter pellets, allows coating and layering with APIs and excipients, resulting in better formulations of pharmaceutical products. Drug carrier systems can improve drug availabiliy, assist formulations, or realize higher safety for the API:
- Multiple small discrete units are coated with the API
- Unit sizes are between 100 and 1400 µm
- Variability in systemic absorption
- Reduced risk, for example dose dumping
- Better compliance by taste masking, palatability
- Easy to swallow (geriatric medicine)
There is a large scientific community and publications on research on microcrystalline cellulose pellets serving as drug carrier.
More general information about drug carrier system on wikipedia.
The advantages of pellets in oral dosage forms compared to monolithic dosage forms are:
- low variability of gastric emptying
- lower dependency on nutrition state
- low risk of localized high drug concentrations in the GI
- reduced risk of sudden dose dumping
- lower intra- and inter-individual variability
- high control on time and place of drug delivery
More details on: cellets.com
The size of pharmaceutical pellets is between 100 µm and 1400 µm. For the sake of high monodispersity, pharmaceutical pellets are ordered in different size classes. For example, microcrystalline cellulose pellets (Cellets) are available in standard classes:
- size of pellets (*)
- 100-200 µm
- 200-355 µm
- 350-500 µm
- 500-710 µm
- 700-1000 µm
- 1000-1400 µm
Advantage of small pellet sizes:
- large surface-to-volume ratio
- small elementary particles in formulations
- easy swallowing and high customer compliance
- application: mini-tablets, capsules, tables
Advantage of large pellet sizes:
- small surface-to-volume ratio
- large elementary particles in formulations
- easy coating and layering of small excipient or API fractions
- application: tables, sachet, stick packs
A converter which relates pellet sizes and mesh sizes of sieves is a meaningful tool.
Frequently, formulations with starter pellets are based on multiparticulates. Formulations for immediate release and extended release oral dosage forms are more and more often built on starter pellets. Experts such as Glatt Pharmaceutical Services can assist you or take over control of the entire drug processing. The way, how formulations with starter pellets are processed and manufactured is called pellet technologies. A large variation of desired functionalities of the final drug can be easily implemented. Customer compliance (e.g. taste-masking) and marketing targets (e.g. designed taste & color) can be realized.
You can order pharmaceutical pellets in many countries world-wide. Pharmaceutical pellets by Ingredientpharm follow specifications by Eur.Ph., JP/JPE, USP/NF, an import into your country is generally not a big issue. We are happy to assist you with any question.
We offer highest quality through our distribution channels. Our distributors will advise and find with you the best solution. Depending on your goals, API and formulation, there are several pellet materials and sizes available.
Order pellets for pharmaceutical use here: web-shop.
You can buy pellets for pharmaceutical use in many countries world-wide. Pharmaceutical pellets by Ingredientpharm follow specifications by Eur.Ph., JP/JPE, USP/NF, an import into your country is generally not a big issue. Please, ask us for help.
We offer highest quality through our distribution channels. Experts from our distributors will advise and find with you the best solution. Depending on your goals, API and formulation, there are several pellet materials and sizes available.
Buy pellets for pharmaceutical use here: web-shop.